So I never thought I’d be one of those bleeding heart exhibitionists who sits around typing on a Mac with black fingernails, but I’m inspired, so I had to plop down and write something.
I just finished 2 long, long (free) walking tours and really needed some alone time- I couldn’t bare to listen to more lecture, or even chitchat between tour goers. “Where are you from? Where have you been? Are you studying?....” Not that it wasn’t all pleasant, but I just wanted to think about all the information for a bit, to let the city sink in on its own..
So I decided to go for a walk along the river. Many of you who know me know that my favorite thing to do is go on long walks. Like runner’s get “runner’s high” I get “walker’s high”; I think I invented that term just now, actually. Also, it’s great to walk along any river. Some reasons:
1) Fancy buildings are built there
2) The other people are usually strolling for pleasure, so there is never a hurry
3) Only one side is noisy, so it’s good for thinking
4) Something interesting might happen along the waterfront
Today, for me, it was Number 4. I was wandering along the high bank of the river, when I noticed a young guy watching some swans below me on the lower bank. He was just standing there staring, and I thought, “Wow, that is so cute. He’s watching the birds,” so I wanted to take his picture. When I got my camera out, he looked up and saw me. So I smiled, and pretended to be taking a picture of anything other than him and kept walking.
A bit further down, I noticed a beautiful building with flower-filled window boxes. Window boxes are one of my favorite things- they require such care that you know someone nice lives inside. This was extra-true today. The window was opened and I could hear a lady inside singing a really beautiful song in Czech. So nice.
Maybe this whole entry is really boring, but for me it was just so interesting. My mind was busy thinking about all I had learned today, but then on my walk it cleared up. I saw that guy and those swans and that building and her voice. Magic Walk.
-H*
ps. I promise something more sensical later.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That sounds really cool actually. Sometimes the most simple things are the most enjoyable because your senses are heightened as a result of your detachment from the constraints and just bullsheeeit of everyday reality. I am glad you are having such a good time. Keep me updated. Miss you.
Gretch
Post a Comment