I arrived to Athens via Rome, where I got to spend a glorious 7-hour layover! All I did was buy a panini and a postcard, but it was totally worth it to get out of the airport. Unfortunately, my camera was checked, so no pics, but i was there! Once in Athens I trained it to the center and found my hostel. The place is known for its bar and fab crowd. I got swallowed up by both and headed out for the night.
We passed the Acropolis, which is right by our hostel. AMAZING. It is from 300BC! So we walked by it like it was nothing and headed to an Irish Pub. I was famished and shared a chicken sammy. I watched an Ireland vs. Cyprus football match and cheered for both sides. I chatted with an Irish diabetes researcher, who periodically zoned out to scream at the television, a few Aussies who now call Athens home, and a pair of reunited friends from Italy and Brazil...
The Aussies and I hopped on a Vespa and rode through the city. I’ve only been on a motorbike a handful of times and it was SO fun! We rode through alleys and on sidewalks and I was squealing and giggling the whole time! I rode in the middle of the boys and they kept making fun of me for being so excited and for “Hayley’s little legs!”
We ended up at this disco where, for whatever reason, the crowd was all REALLY young. Like 15... The music was decent, so we stuck around, but it quickly became a real freak show.... The DJ started spinning only Serbian music (I guess the kids were all Serbian..?) and they went CRAZY! Shirtless and tired and young and drunk and excited and then, like they were catching a school bus, they all left in unison.
The bar was deserted, apart from about 10 of us. We danced to American music before calling it a night..
Today I settled into the place and went for lunch and to poke around the city a bit. As I looked for a lunch spot, I caught the eye of a man on a motor bike. I smiled, as my flirtatious self always does, but to my surprise, he literally stopped his bike and walked it along beside me! He asked “how long are you in town?” “Leaving today, sorry..” I lied. “It is a shame.” He looked me in the eyes, and held my chin in his hand. “You are beautiful.” And he hopped on his bike and rode away. So random, but it was nice. I was flattered and in awe and loving the very-forward culture.
I found a very local-looking spot and watched the Presidential debates over lunch- lamb kebab with onion, tomato, tzatziki, pita, and french fries! Then I went to the Acropolis. I was a bit late and didn’t feel like paying 12 Euro for the half hour until close. I walked around the grounds and smiled at an older man on a bench.
“Where are you from? Come over here!” he said. His name was Apollo- like the God, and he was a real character. He also worked in restaurants and traveled the globe- Finland, South Africa, Madagascar..... He took me to a lookout point and told me all about the city below. We snapped a photo and parted ways; Both of us had friends to meet.
I headed to the hostel and met up with friends for a hike to watch the world’s most beautiful sunset. It was amazing. On the way home I saw a gypsy family playing music on a set of steps. I offered some money and asked them for a photograph. We continued back home, and now I’m about to head out to the neighborhood Apollo recommended for live Greek music. I am loving this city. A lot of the young people here feel the same, and apparently just never go home. That's an idea....
-H*
Pics from Athens: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2145376&l=b4c04&id=22001348
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I loved Greece! I see you are experiencing the greek men, i am telling you they think a smile means you are available for anything haha just be careful! you should travel to the greek islands if you have the money, it is well worth it. they are spectacular! and Blue Star Ferries are not to expensive and totally comfortable!! good luck! i enjoy reading about your travels!
also, i stayed at a hotel near the acropoli called BYRON hotel its so close to the pedestrian walk around the famous acropolis. for late breakfast i really liked cresendo, they have nice coffee and good cruissants (sp?) i am so jealous!!!!! i wish i were still in Greece
Post a Comment